A health care provider’s advice to quit tobacco use is an important motivator for tobacco users. In 5 minutes or less, you can execute the Georgia cAARds (Ask, Advise, and Refer) program and ensure your patients receive evidence-based, best practice tobacco cessation counseling.
- Ask all patients about tobacco use during each visit
- Advise them about the benefits of tobacco cessation
- Refer them to the Georgia Tobacco Quit Line for a free “Quit Kit”, individualized plan and behavioral counseling : 1-877-270- STOP
- Complete the Georgia Tobacco Quit Line fax Referral Form with the patient
GTQL Fax Referral Form can be downloaded from DPH’s website
- Inform the patient they will be contacted by a Georgia Tobacco Quit Line staff member within 48 hours or less
Free training on Asking, Advising and Referring:
Engaging Tobacco Users: Tips for Health Care Providers in Georgia is available at GATobaccoIntervention.org.