Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (AIM) Reduction of Peripartum Racial/Ethnic Disparities bundle; https://safehealthcareforeverywoman.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Reduction-of-Peripartum-Disparities-Bundle.pdf
ACOG Committee Opinion #649 Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Obstetrics and Gynecology: Recommendations; Racial and ethnic disparities in obstetrics and gynecology. Committee Opinion No. 649. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 126: e130–4.
- SYMPOSIUM ON RACIAL DISPARITIES AND IMPLICIT BIAS IN OBSTETRICAL CARE December, 2018; https://www.acog.org/-/media/Districts/District-II/Public/SMI/v2/SymposiumRacialDisparitiesDec2018.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20200122T1633021965
- Council on Patient Safety in Women’s Health Care, https://safehealthcareforeverywoman.org/patient-safetybundles/reduction-of-peripartum-racialethnic-disparities/#link_acc-1-4-d 11 Effective patient–physician communication. Committee Opinion No. 587. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:389–93.
Institute on Health Improvement (IHI) has a wide array of excellent resources and tools: http:/www. Ihi.org
- The 18-month Pursuing Equity Learning and Action Network (May 2020 – October 2021) will underscore the urgency of eliminating inequities, provide improvement methods and tools for testing and learning our way to solutions, create a network for sharing learning across organizations, and disseminate our results, challenges, and most effective improvements.
- This white paper Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations provides guidance on how health care organizations can reduce health disparities related to racial or ethnic group; religion; socioeconomic status; gender; age; mental health; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; sexual orientation or gender identity; geographic location; or other characteristics historically linked to discrimination or exclusion. Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations; Wyatt R, Laderman M, Botwinick L, Mate K, Whittington J. Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations. IHI White Paper. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2016. (Available at ihi.org)
- The Role of Racism as a Core Patient Safety Issue
Maternal mortality rates in the United States are rising, particularly among black women. This Healthcare Executivearticle outlines the ways in which racism has contributed to the causes of heightened mortality and challenges health care leaders to act on this knowledge to reduce inequities in care and improve safety in maternal health.https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/ihi/FMfcgxwGCtHnxZRXZWJpsxtfwcdhHplh
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
The AAMC is pleased to bring you a set of online, on-demand video resources on a range of diversity and inclusion topics. The Diversity 3.0 Learning Series includes interviews with thought leaders and experts, faculty career development webinars, guidance on institutional strategic planning and culture and climate assessment, and presentations on innovative programs at AAMC member institutions- https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-areas/diversity-inclusion/learning
Unconscious Bias Train-the-Trainer Program for the Health Professions
The AAMC partnered with Cook Ross, Inc. to create training in the science behind unconscious bias. This training will help academic medicine staff and faculty mitigate these disparities across the medical education continuum.
Equity-minded learning and workplace environments:
An equity-minded learning and workplace environment is achieved when every person in the academic medical community — medical students, residents, fellows, faculty, and staff — has the opportunity to attain their full potential and no one is disadvantaged because of their social position or group identity (e.g. race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, religion, physical/mental/developmental abilities).Academic medical centers must embrace equity-mindedness and conscious inclusion if they are to realize the full benefits of a diverse workforce. https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/achieving-excellence-through-equity-diversity-and-inclusion
Project Implicit, https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html 8 Howell et al.,
Cook Ross, https://cookross.com/– a consulting firm that aids in system-wide changes geared towards inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
The Institute for Perinatal Quality Improvement was founded in 2016 by Debra Bingham, DrPH, RN, FAAN, and works to expand the use of quality improvement to eliminate preventable perinatal morbidity and mortality and ensure equitable outcomes. Institute for Perinatal Quality Improvement provides solutions to common quality improvement challenges. Implicit and Explicit SPEAK UP Training is a day-long interactive workshop that outlines strategies to help individuals and group dismantle racism, provide quality equitable care, and reduce perinatal health disparities. https://www.perinatalqi.org/page/SPEAKUPTraining
The National Institute on Race and Equity
The National Training Institute on Race & Equity (NTIRE) is a national training entity that assists individuals and organizations with understanding, identifying and managing the content, skills, and behavior needed to create diverse social and professional communities that are inclusive and equitable. https://www.ntire.training/
Institute of Medicine. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2003
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation:
A Roadmap to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care was authored by Amanda R. Clarke, MPH; Olivia L. Vargas, BA; Anna P. Goddu, MSc; Kevin W. McCullough, MJ; Rachel DeMeester; Scott C. Cook, PhD; Mona El-Shamaa, MPH; and Marshall H. Chin, MD, MPH. https://www.solvingdisparities.org/sites/default/files/Roadmap_StrategyOverview_final_MSLrevisions_11-3-14%20%284%29.pdf
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), https://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patientsafety/patient-family engagement/pfeprimarycare/interventions/teach-back.html